Health Information Management
Available on the Vincennes campus and online
The health information management (HIM) field places you right where the expanding arena of health care meets the cutting edge of technology. As an HIM professional, you are the expert on patient data that doctors, nurses, and other providers rely on to perform their jobs. By maintaining, collecting, and analyzing health information, your work makes an important contribution to the delivery of quality care. This field of study is sometimes referred to as medical records, but as you can see, the opportunities are far greater! With new healthcare initiatives, hospitals, doctors and other healthcare facilities need professionals that can understand electronic health information networks and exchanges. HIM professionals code, digitize and create electronic patient records, while improving electronic data integrity. Some professionals manage the entire process, check for accuracy and secure the information as required by law. At VU, you will receive classroom knowledge and hands-on experience in all areas of the HIM field.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that health information management is among the fastest-growing occupations. If you want to work in the health care industry, but don’t want to have direct patient care, then this degree might be for you.
VU HIM Program Highlights
- The HIM Program at Vincennes University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The CAHIIM website is www.cahiim.org.
- The program has been accredited for more than 30 years.
- Graduates are qualified and eligible to take the national certification exam to become an RHIT.
- Program options that fit your needs. Available on campus and online. The online program is intended for full time health information professionals that are unable to attend classes on campus.
- High satisfaction rate among graduates. The results of our Outcome Assessments as reported in the Annual Program Assessment Report (APAR) include:
- Graduate satisfaction: 100%
- Employer satisfaction: 100%
- Graduate Placement: Above CAHIIM requirement of 80%
- Certification Outcomes: Above National Mean Pass Rate of 76%
For additional information on the Health Information Management profession including salary information, please visit http://www.ahima.org or healthinformationcareers.com.
On Campus Contact:
Janet Thomas, MS, RHIT, CCS
Chair, HIM Program
Distance Education Contact (Online learning)
For more information on the HIM Program online, please visit the distance education website.