STEP (Student Transition into Educational Programs)
Vincennes University is offering an academic support program providing comprehensive services for learning disabled students in the university mainstream. STEP is designed to help students be more successful in their college courses.
Student strengths, rather than deficits, are the emphasis. Compensatory techniques, rather than remediation, are the thrust. With adequate support services, VU believes LD college students will be successful.
STEP is designed to give LD students the opportunity to develop their own unique abilities and to achieve their highest academic potential. Students will develop a sense of self-worth and the skills needed to function and learn independently in college.
Admission to the program is based on completion of the application process, determination of student eligibility, available funding, and space remaining. Space in the program is limited, early application is important.
The fee for STEP is $430.00/semester. A $105 deposit is required after acceptance.
BENEFITS AVAILABLE IN STEP
- LD specialists for individualized tutoring or remediation
- Professional and peer tutoring
- Specialized remedial and/or support classes
- Weekly academic progress tutoring with STEP professionals
- Coordination with Counseling, the Career Center & Disability Services
- Program accommodations and assisting devices
- Computerized LD Assistance
INTERESTED STUDENTS SHOULD SUBMIT:
- VU Application for admission
- High school transcript
- Results of a recent psychological evaluation and documentation of a learning disability, including a certified psychologist's report.
- Confidential recommendations from an LD teacher and a regular teacher or guidance counselor.
Ranell Locke, M. Ed., - STEP Director, STEP Dept. Chair & Associate Professor - 812-888-5116
Angie Crabtree, M.S. - STEP Director & Assistant Professor - 812-888-4495