Product Design and Production Processes
Available on the Vincennes campus
Drafters design products or special tooling required to manufacture a new product. These designs, usually based on specifications and rough sketches prepared by engineers, are the blueprints for manufacturing. It’s a career that can be challenging and rewarding since you are involved in the creation and development of new ideas.
- Our two-year curriculum accommodates students with and without prior drafting experience.
- Students will develop a broad-based background in computer-aided drafting and design (CAD), product design, working drawings, plastic part design, jig and fixture design, die and mold design, additive manufacturing and prototyping, and reverse engineering.
- Our CAD curriculum includes solid and surface modeling with PTC Creo as well as 2D drafting with AutoCAD.
- We teach both CAD and manual drafting per industry and advisory committee recommendations.
- Students will become familiar with standard engineering office practices and ASME Y-14.5-2009 standards, including the fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Students gain hands-on experience using 3D printers and learn about a variety of additive manufacturing technologies.
- Students learn how to use 3D laser scanners and other reverse engineering equipment.
- Two-time recipient of the Indiana Career and Technical Education Award for Excellence
- Excellent Job Placement – Approximately ninety-five percent of our graduates go directly into the job market, while those remaining may pursue a Baccalaureate degree through VU or another university.
- Excellent Starting Salaries –Through our placement office, our 2015 graduates reported an average starting salary of $44,300.
- The department maintains the latest versions of PTC Creo and AutoCAD used in industry.
- The Industrial Drafting Advisory Committee assists in the evaluation and guidance of curriculum updates.
- Full-time, industry-experienced faculty continues to stay abreast of industry changes.
- Faculty works directly with companies and placement office to secure employment for students.
- Students in the program are advised and counseled by drafting faculty.
- The department provides annual American Drafting and Design Association certification testing.
- The department hosts the annual Skills USA contest.
- The department provides drafting scholarships for qualified students.
- In-house copying is available.
For more information, please contact:
Cassidy Strange, Program Coordinator