Is Online Education Right For You? - Distance Education
Is Online Education Right For You?
Required Skills for Online Learning
- Strong reading and writing skills, self-discipline and time management skills, problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Knowledge of basic computer terminology such as:
- drop down menu, log in, username, program, upload, website…
- Ability to perform basic computer operations, such as:
- Using keyboard and mouse
- Managing files and folders: save, name, copy, move, backup, rename, delete, check properties
- Knowledge of copying and pasting, spell-checking, saving files in different formats
- Sending and downloading attachments
- Understanding basic computer hardware and software, such as:
- Software installation, security and virus protection
- Using software applications, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, email clients
- Ability to use online communication tools, such as:
- Email (create, send, receive, reply, print, send/receive attachments)
- Discussion boards (read, search, post, reply, follow threads), chats, and messengers.
- Additional Internet skills, such as:
- Connecting, accessing, and using browsers
- Ability to perform online research using various search engines and library databases.