Parent PLUS Loans - Financial Services
To apply for the federal direct parent PLUS loan, follow these directions:
1. Go to http://StudentLoans.gov.
2. Click on the green "Sign In" button.
3. Parent applying enters all requested information. You will need your (parent) FSA ID username & password. (If the parent does not already have a PIN number, you will need to click on the "Create an FSA ID" link and follow steps there.)
4. Click on "Request a Direct PLUS Loan" link.
5. Click on "Parent PLUS" link.
6. Follow the directions given to you.
7. You will receive immediate notification if your credit was approved or denied.
If your credit was approved, follow these directions to complete the Master Promissory Note:
1. Click on the "Complete MPN" link on the left hand side of the page.
2. Click on the "Parent PLUS" link.
3. Complete all four steps of the Master Promissory Note and click on the "Sign" button.
If your credit was denied, the student may be eligible to receive UP TO $4,000 in an additional federal direct unsubsidized Stafford loan. To apply for this additional federal direct unsubsidized Stafford loan, the student should go to their MyVU. There follow the directions for accepting Stafford loans, only this time the student will accept the "Additional Unsub - PLUS Denial." The student can accept any amount up to the amount offered.
Please allow 2-5 business days for institutional processing of the application.